Geo location tagging is one of the best ways to help your site be found locally. Local search is a nuanced subset of SEO, but it’s becoming increasingly important for businesses that want to rank well at the local level.
Geo-Tagging is Good for your Santa Barbara SEO.
Geo tagging may seem like one more hiccup on the road to search engine optimization, but in reality, it can help your business appear on maps and aid in the search engines putting a face to a name. We here at Santa Barbara Web Design & Marketing always counsel our clients to geo-tag any and all of their photos when they can. Because any time you help the search engines find you, you’re doing your bit to advance your rankings.
What is Geo-tagging?
Geo-tagging is putting little snippets of code into your site that help search engines put a place to a picture.
Specifically, at the user end side of things, it looks like this:
For you, the website owner, it looks like this:
- <h2>Beach in Mexico</h2>
- <img src=”mexico-beach.jpg” />
- By Jane Doe
- Photographed in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Date uploaded: Jan 25, 2008
- I took this picture while on vacation last year.
With Microdata Markup:
- <div itemscope itemtype=”http://schema.org/ImageObject”>
- <h2 itemprop=”name”>Beach in Mexico</h2>
- <img src=”mexico-beach.jpg” itemprop=”contentURL” />
- By <span itemprop=”author”>Jane Doe</span>
- Photographed in
- <span itemprop=”contentLocation”>Puerto Vallarta, Mexico</span>
- Date uploaded:
- <meta itemprop=”datePublished” content=”2008-01-25″>Jan 25, 2008
- <span itemprop=”description”>I took this picture while on vacation last year.</span>
Ways to Geo-tag Your Santa Barbara Business Photos
You can geo tag a number of ways.
- GPS Camera – Some GPS-enabled cameras automatically geo-tag photos for you.
- Online Tools – Some online microdata markup tools exist out there.
- Manual – Other methods include learning schema markup and doing it yourself.
- And by far the easiest option, is by using Picasa.
In order to use Picasa to Geo-tag your photos, you’ll have to also download Google Earth.
Once you do, select the photo you’d like to Geo-tag in Picasa, navigate to Tools in the top menu bar, and then select geo-tag with Google Earth.
Google Earth will ask you to search for the location where the photo was taken, and once you do, you can click the location with the on-screen cross-hairs.
And voila! Your photo has now been Geo-tagged. The changes to the files are saved on your hard-disk, so once you upload your tagged photo to your site, you will now have some geo-tagged goodness and be well on your way to helping your local search rankings.
Thanks for reading and happy tagging!